Public libraries are awesome. The sheer amount of resources, information and services they provide is outstanding, and the best part is that they provide them for FREE!
Or if you want to get technical, yes, you pay for them with your tax-payer dollars… so if you’re paying for them, might as well use them, right?
If you don’t already go to them, I challenge you to visit a public library in the next month. Seriously, try it.
Locally speaking, the Hennepin County Library is basically amazing. I frequent the library about twice a month, typically migrating toward the non-fiction section. The content I’ve learned has greatly guided my personal growth, and I believe it can facilitate yours as well.
Here are my Top Ten Reasons why the Hennepin County Library is your friend:
10. There’s always one close to you. There are currently 41 library locations scattered throughout Hennepin county.
9. HCLibrary has around 5 million items in its catalog and free on-site computers/WiFi available.
8. The libraries offer a variety of reading programs, children storytimes, homework help, and events and tutorials, among others (check calendar and locations).
7. Books and magazines can be checked out for 3 weeks and DVDs for 1 week. Materials may be renewed up to three times unless someone has requested them.
6. The library is kept neat, clean and organized, the website is easy to use, and the books/technology are up-to-date.
5. Items can be requested and arranged for pick up at a HCLibrary of your choosing.
4. If there’s an item HCLibrary doesn’t have, you can request an Interlibrary Loan from other libraries in the state (and pick it up at your local library!).
3. The people who work there are always friendly and ready to help.
2. Check-out can take as little as 10 seconds.
1. The Hennepin County Library provides so much great content for free!
Please take advantage of your local library–find a novel, check out a workout DVD, or learn about a new topic in the non-fiction section! Relax, practice or learn: your personal growth awaits.